Re: keywords on .pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: keywords on .pgpass
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> pg_hba.conf accepts some keywords like 'all', 'sameuser' and so on.
> Likewise, I'd like to support the same keywords for .pgpass file.
> Thought?

I don't see the use case for it - .pgpass is for single users, not a
whole cluster. And it does support wildcards, which takes care of the
'all' case. In the case of pg_hba.conf we don't know in advance who will
actually be connecting. But in the case of .pgpass we do, so the extra
utility of 'sameuser', 'samerole' and 'samegroup' in this case is not
apparent to me.

cheers

andrew