Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?
Date
Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 04:15 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> It's needed to find the place where the backup stopped, so it defines
>>> the safe stopping point. We could easily pass that info via WAL, when
>>> streaming. It doesn't actually matter until we try to failover.
>> Right. And, it's also needed to cooperate with HS which begins accepting
>> read-only queries after a recovery reaches that safe stopping point.
>
> Agreed, hence my interest!

Yeah, that's a great idea.

I was just having a chat with Magnus this morning, and he asked if the
current patch already provides or if it would be possible to write a
stand-alone utility to connect to a master and stream WAL files to an
archive directory, without setting up a full-blown standby instance. We
came to the conclusion that backup history files wouldn't be copied as
the patch stands, because the standby has to specifically request them.