Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Ron Mayer wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Robert Haas escribió:
>>
>>> On first blush, I'm inclined to suggest that the addition of + signs
>>> to mark continuation lines is a misfeature.
>>>
>> EXPLAIN is a special case.  IMHO it should be dealt with accordingly.
>>

> Is it?
>
> Wouldn't it affect anyone who stuck XML in a txt column and wanted
> to copy and paste it into a parser?
>
> Perhaps single column output usually won't want the + signs (because
> it's copy&pasteable) but multi-column output could?

Yeah, I'm thinking we should probably suppress output of format.nl_right
(no matter what the format) where there is only one column. (This is
even uglier with unicode linestyle, btw). That's a sane rule and it's
not an ugly hack.

cheers

andrew