Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> A simple if ugly hack would make psql use old-ascii print style
>> (which doesn't use these contionuation chars) if the first
>> attribute in the resultset was named 'QUERY PLAN'
> I don't believe that machine-readable EXPLAIN output is the only
> multi-line output value that anyone would ever wish to cut and
> paste into an editor without picking up a lot of stray garbage, so
> I don't think this is a solution.
Agreed.
This would be a significant annoyance for me on a regular basis.  If
I can't turn it off, it would probably cause me to create my own
locally patched version of psql.  Another alternative would be to
use some other tool to run queries where I wanted long values
without this, but psql has so many nice features that I'd be
switching back and forth, so the patch would probably be easier.
-Kevin