Re: next CommitFest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: next CommitFest
Date
Re: next CommitFest
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> I am personally quite tired of
> reviewing patches for people who don't in turn review mine (or
> someone's).  It makes me feel like not working on this project.  If we
> can solve that problem without implementing a policy of this type,
> that is good.  I would much prefer to run by the honor system rather
> than having to threaten to drop patches, but only if the honor system
> actually works.

Organizing contributors on a project like this is like herding cats.
Threats and penalties are unlikely to be effective. This is essentially
a charity where people give in ways that work for them, and you take
whatever they have to give. I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of
a prescriptive system. I've proposed them myself in the past, but I have
since come to the realization that it will simply drive people away.

cheers

andrew