Very important choice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Lago, Bruno Almeida do
Subject Very important choice
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hello my friends,

I'd like to know (based on your experience and technical details) which OS is recommended for running PostgreSQL keeping in mind 3 indicators:

1 - Performance (SO, Network and IO)

2 - SO Stability

3 - File System Integrity

Comparisons between Slackware, Gentoo and FreeBSD are welcome.

Which file system has the best performance and integrity: XFS (Linux) or UFS (FreeBSD)?

*I've read that UFS is not a journaling FS. Is this right? How much this difference affects performance and integrity?

I don't have experience with FreeBSD so I'd like to know if it is possible to run XFS on FreeBSD 5.3.

Thank you,

Bruno Almeida do Lago