Re: Application name patch - v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Application name patch - v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think Pavel's entire line of argument is utter nonsense.
> +1.  I can't even understand why we're still arguing about this.
Agreed.  One premise of the whole concept was "don't even think of
using it for security"[1].  That's not it's purpose; so any criticisms
on that basis are irrelevant.  Claims that it opens new security holes
if you *don't* try to use it for this purpose don't seem to have any
merit that I can see; I don't think Pavel has even attempted to put
such an argument forward.
-Kevin
[1]
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/407d949e0907161237r76ebd92av6836c6563d8a230e@mail.gmail.com