Re: Please comment on trademark guidelines - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Please comment on trademark guidelines
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Please comment on this policy here or on its discussion page.  Please no
>> armchair lawyering, unless you *are* an attorney; we just want to make
>> sure that this policy encompasses desired community uses, not its legal
>> pedigree.
>
> I have a question regarding the difference between a trademark and the
> BSD license.
>
> pgfoundry shows that all of the graphics in this project are release
> under the BSD license:
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/graphics/
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000089/120/elephant-64.png
>

> Will the policy the graphic use harmonize with the BSD license?

Having the trademark allows you to stop the logo being used to promote
a non-postgresql product.

The source for recreating the image can be freely available (BSD) and
you can freely distribute copies of the image, but you need to comply
with the trademark conditions if you want to display the resulting
image.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz