Re: Adding \ev view editor? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Adding \ev view editor?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:07 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>> One reason I don't like this proposal is that postgresql does not
>> preserve the original 'create view' statement for editing.  The
>> resulting sql that is given to you to edit is hopelessly mangled and I
>> think it's not good to encourage people to modify views in this
>> fashion.
>>
>> Then again, we are only reproducing what pgadmin can already do, so
>> why not? :-)
>
> Is there any reason that the CREATE VIEW output to pg_dump and,
> presumably, \ev, couldn't be refactored to pretty-print the VIEW
> declaration?

Tom just said a day or two ago that he doesn't want pg_dump using any
pretty printing, and I think there is some sense in that.

As discussed last week, the current viewdef pretty printing doesn't put
each target in the select list on it own line (or lines) - hence my
proposal to make it do so. I think this would be even more desirable if
we have \ev. Without that I think \ev is likely to be fairly useless.

cheers

andrew