Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel Pouré<jm@poure.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner a écrit :
>> It's not clear to me what you feel is needed.
> http://drupal.org/node/559302
These look like performance issues.
> http://drupal.org/node/555514
These are MySQL compatibility issues.
So when you talk about focusing on usablility improvements you mean
that priority should be given to supporting MySQL-specific syntax
extensions and ensuring that there are no queries where the MySQL
optimizer comes up with a more efficient plan than PostgreSQL?
One concern I have is that you don't mention PostgreSQL configuration
in your performance advice, and I seem to remember you said that you
didn't tune your postgresql.conf file beyond boosting the
shared_buffers setting.  If that's true, you might be somewhat
surprised with the performance improvements if you tweak just a few
other settings.
You might want to see what suggestions you get from:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/configurator/
-Kevin