Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel Pouré
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Kevin

> So when you talk about focusing on usablility improvements you mean
> that priority should be given to supporting MySQL-specific syntax
> extensions and ensuring that there are no queries where the MySQL
> optimizer comes up with a more efficient plan than PostgreSQL?

Yes. PostgreSQL should be able to run MySQL code quoted here:

This is a prerequisite for people to be willing to test and adopt
PostgreSQL. People are not willing to debug frameworks like Drupal and
port them to PostgreSQL. We are quite alone and lost.

> One concern I have is that you don't mention PostgreSQL configuration
> in your performance advice, and I seem to remember you said that you
> didn't tune your postgresql.conf file beyond boosting the
> shared_buffers setting.  If that's true, you might be somewhat
> surprised with the performance improvements if you tweak just a few
> other settings.

shared_buffer 24M.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel