Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff).. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff)..
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>> Guillaume Smet wrote:

>>> It seems that they use PostgreSQL as the underlying GIS database as
>>> the class requires knowledge of PostgreSQL.
>>>
>> OK, interesting.  That technically is not a Postgres training event.
>> Should it be removed?
>>

> No, it meets with our policy.
Is that because the posted link goes to a totally different course/event
(a PostGIS course)?

Essentially, what has happened here is that they've listed a MapServer
course, but provided the link to their PostGIS course (which, I think,
is offered the previous week).  The appropriate link for the event
they've posted (as evidenced by the course dates)
(http://www.anaska.com/formations/formation-mapserver-mise-en-place-d-un-moteur-cartographique-avec-mapserver.php)
makes no reference to PostGIS/PostgreSQL anywhere, and makes no mention
of PostGIS in the course description.  This is further evidenced by the
matching course dates on the correct link (and lack thereof on the
posted link).

To summarize, an event is posted that makes no reference to PostgreSQL
or PostGIS in its description on .org, and makes no reference to PostGIS
or PostgreSQL on the course "description" web site.

The only thing I see here is that they've posted a course unrelated to
PostGIS, but have provided a link to a PostGIS course...  Probably not
something a moderator would notice at a glance...  Chances are this is
just a copy-paste error, but still, IMHO its not a related event.
Perhaps if something there made some mention of PostgreSQL or PostGIS at
least.

Perhaps the policy should be amended to make it clear that the course
title or description should make some reference to or indicate how it is
PostgreSQL related.  That would at least make it easier for moderators
to glance at a posting and immediately see the relevance..

Thank You

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.