Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Taylor
Subject Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Paul Taylor wrote:
>> I am testing the code that extracts information from a read only
>> database. These are UNIT tests so only interested in getting the
>> right results given a particular set of data, anything else is a
>> distraction.
>
> I don't understand your test environment.  If all your code is doing
> is extracting info from a database, why would you want to have
> database management embedded in your test?  Simply have a test
> database already configured and running, then run your JUnit tests
> against that existing database.  That simple approach would obviously
> work across all platforms.
>
> The only reason I can see for doing DDL in a unit test would be if the
> end product will be doing such DDL.

Firstly the database side is quite straightforward, these issues with
triggers and locking just don't apply for what I am doing. Secondly this
is an opensource project and to enable others to contribute easily it is
much easier if they can download the code and run mvn package to compile
and test. Once you start introducing external database setups, and
database configs things can easily start going wrong, and you can't
share databases when doing automated testing

Paul