Re: commercial adaptation of postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: commercial adaptation of postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Also try Netezza, one data warehouse appliance originally based on Postgres. Although this is not the only such
Postgresderivative.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood

Brent Wood
DBA/GIS consultant
NIWA, Wellington
New Zealand
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Christophe wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Dennis Gearon wrote:
>>
>> I once talked to a company that made a custome version of Postgres. It
>> split tables up on columns and also by rows, had some other custome
>> features. It was enormously faster from what I gathered.
>>
>> I could of sworn it began with the letter 'T', but maybe not. I don't see
>> anything like that on the commercial page of the posgres site.
>
> Truviso?  http://truviso.com/

We don't do any column-oriented stuff at Truviso.

From the description Dennis gave, I'm guess he's thinking of the Petabyte
database at Yahoo:
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/2-petabyte-postgresql-24848