Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From justin
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:
> There has been some discussion about the point that the PostgreSQL web
> site leads people directly to the EDB web site. I have been prompted to
> provide a count of people that find this objectionable, so let's call a
> vote.
>
> Please reply to the following questions with either a +1 or a -1 (only).
> Any other reply will not be counted, i.e. black-or-white answers only.
> You may ignore either question if you find them off-topic.
>
> "There is only one currently known Windows installer for PostgreSQL 8.4,
> and that can only be obtained by visiting an external commercial
> company's website: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do
> Do you think this situation should be changed, if a reasonable
> alternative can be found? +1 means change, -1 means no change."
>
> "Do you believe that I am acting vindictively by asking for this? +1
> means yes, -1 means no."
>
> You can reply to this mail, or reply to me offlist if you wish to remain
> anonymous. Your vote *will* be counted whether you reply on or offlist.
> Any emails sent to me privately will not be used for marketing purposes.
> I will identify the number of people on either side of the vote with
> whom I have any form of commercial or personal relationship.
>
> Thanks,

I don't see the issue here. Postgresql.org is not directly supporting
Enterprise DB or telling Users buy this product.

I would agree with you if another company decided to come up with
another installer of equl quality then Postgresql.org refused to offer a
link next to OneClick installer.

As long as postgresql.org continues to be impartial then I see no
problem.  This seems to be biting one of the hands that feeds the community.

Enterprise DB is doing it for FREE  wheres the problem ????  Where's
Postgresql inducement of Enterprise DB???  If you say by mire fact
there's a link then i would point out that logic leads to every link is
an inducement to everyone.