Re: generic options for explain - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: generic options for explain
Date
Re: generic options for explain  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: generic options for explain  (ioguix <ioguix@free.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> In libxml-enabled builds at least, this could presumably be done fairly
>> easily via the XML functions, especially if we get XSLT processing into the
>> core XML functionality as I hope we can do this release. In fact, the
>> ability to leverage existing XML functionality to munge the output is the
>> thing that swings me in favor of XML as the machine readable output format
>> instead of JSON, since we don't have and aren't terribly likely to get an
>> inbuilt JSON parser. It means we wouldn't need some external tool at all.

Actually, I think a number of users would be *very* happy if we had a
builtin JSON parser. I'm unsure on how feasible that is though.

> I was thinking something similar, but from the pgAdmin perspective. We
> already use libxml2, but JSON would introduce another dependency for
> us.

Yeah, but probably not a huge one. There is one for wx, but I don't
think it's included by default.

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/