Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Paolo Rizzi
Subject Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:06 +0200, Paolo Rizzi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> recently I came across a question from a customer of mine, asking me if
>> it would feasible to run PostgreSQL along with PostGIS on embedded hardware.
>> They didn't give me complete information, but it should be some kind of
>> industrial PC with a 600MHz CPU. Memory should be not huge nor small,
>> maybe a couple of GBytes, hard disk should be some type of industrial
>> Compact Flash of maybe 16 GBytes.
>>

> Well the CPU is slow the but rest isn't so bad.
>
>> They are thinking about using this setup on-board of public buses and
>> trams, along with a GPS receiver, for self-localization. So that when
>> the bus or tram enters defined zones or passes near defined points,
>> events are triggered.
>> The database could probably be used completely read-only or almost that.
>>
>> What performances do you think would be possible for PostgreSQL+PostGIS
>> on such hardware???
>>

> If you aren't doing a lot of writing I don't see a huge barrier to this.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drkae
Thank you!!!
Indeed I also think it could be done, but I searched the Web and found
no previous experience of the like, so maybe it's just too weird putting
a spatial-enabled RDBMS on-board buses...!?!

Anyway I found the TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance. It's a small
Ubuntu-based live-cd with PostgreSQL and PostGIS preconfigured.
I could suggest these people to try it out on hardware similar to what
they intend to use, to have a feel of how it behaves.

Bye
Paolo