Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

From: Joshua D. Drake
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Fernando Hevia", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (PFC, )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
   Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
     Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
      Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Greg Stark, )

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:06 +0200, Paolo Rizzi wrote:
> Hi all,
> recently I came across a question from a customer of mine, asking me if
> it would feasible to run PostgreSQL along with PostGIS on embedded hardware.
> They didn't give me complete information, but it should be some kind of
> industrial PC with a 600MHz CPU. Memory should be not huge nor small,
> maybe a couple of GBytes, hard disk should be some type of industrial
> Compact Flash of maybe 16 GBytes.

Well the CPU is slow the but rest isn't so bad.

> They are thinking about using this setup on-board of public buses and
> trams, along with a GPS receiver, for self-localization. So that when
> the bus or tram enters defined zones or passes near defined points,
> events are triggered.
> The database could probably be used completely read-only or almost that.
>
> What performances do you think would be possible for PostgreSQL+PostGIS
> on such hardware???

If you aren't doing a lot of writing I don't see a huge barrier to this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drkae

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: