Re: Oracle to buy Sun - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Melanie
Subject Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I'm sure you know more on this than I do, I've heard most developers for MySql are basically gone, MySql has been
competitionagainst Oracles higher cost program and my non-techie market experience is that companies may start out
tryingto hold on to something they buy but if it undercuts their main product, the main product wins out.  Techies are
differentthough so perhaps..<br /><br /> Scott Mead wrote: <blockquote
cite="mid:d3ab2ec80904200702u3c8b3c1ci966f8a62179a82e8@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><div class="gmail_quote">On Mon, Apr
20,2009 at 9:36 AM, Melanie <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:melanie@dunslane.net"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">You'd have to think
MySql'sdemise is highly likely which would likely be a good thing for PostgeSQL, more demand for non-oracle licenses
andlower costs in todays economy means people will look for ways to reduce price with a good database and PostgreSQL
ofinnodb (<a href="http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/</a>)
suggeststhat Oracle is not really interested in letting mysql die completely.  If I had to guess, I would say that
mysqlwould probably be somewhat revitalized by the acquisition.  Sun has typically tended to be where good ideas go to
suffera lengthy death... Oracle moves deceptively yet true to its convictions, and never without a keen eye for the
market. <br /><br />   My guess?  Oracle drops a few dollars on innodb, maybe even a few back into Mysql, and pushes it
tonew heights in the open source RDBMS world.  I see some tough competition for postgres coming up, but hey,
competitionhas been known to drive innovation before.  I would say competitive times lay ahead. <br /><br /> Just my