Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum
Date
Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum  (Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I agree with Magnus' original reasoning: we can have more than one
> autovacuum process, so we may have autovacuum_max_workers active and so
> the work mem they use must be smaller. For maintenance_work_mem we would
> typically only have one session using it at any time, so we either have
> to start hardcoding the value in scripts or accept the fact it has been
> set lower.

I actually have a client who does both automated and manual vacuums.
Having two settings would definitely be convenient for them.

That said, it would be unnecessary if I could use ROLES to set
parameters more reliably ....

;-)

--Josh