Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> What I want to be able to do is to set different bunches of resource
>> management settings for various non-login inherited roles, and be able
>> to choose profiles via a SET ROLE.  The reason to do this, btw, instead
>> of defining various login roles, is that different login roles can't
>> share the same connection pool.
>
> The question is why this should be tied to SET ROLE, which already has
> well defined semantics that don't include any such behavior.

Mostly because we don't have anywhere else to hang a "settings profile"
than ROLEs.  And currently, we can define settings with roles; the fact
that those settings materially only apply to login roles and not to
non-login roles could even be seen as inconsistent.

--Josh