Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KaiGai Kohei
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

>> Then why has *nobody* stepped up to review the design, much less the
>> whole patch?  The plain truth is that no one appears to care enough to
>> expend any real effort.
>
> I've spent some time looking at it and have made all the comments I
> wished to make. The design seems clear and fit for purpose, having read
> KaiGai's excellent Wiki description of how it all fits together and also
> read some PDF links Bruce sent out.

Thanks for your comment, although you also have a tough work.

> But I've not had time to look at the whole patch and my contacts have
> not had sufficient time to do anything meaningful with it either.
>
> If we can minimise the impact on normal running and it doesn't have any
> implications for robustness, it should be OK. Surely we should give it a
> quick review to see if it has any gotchas. If not, and KaiGai is willing
> to commit to supporting it, then should be good to go. KaiGai isn't a
> home hacker, he's a lead developer for a major multinational, so we
> should be able to take his word if he says he will continue to
> contribute fixes if problems are found. If we don't commit to him and
> his company then they won't commit to us either.

Needless to say, I will continue to support the feature.
I cannot understand why is it necessary to disappear from here.

At least, a binary with "--enable-selinux" passes all regression
test with/without "pgace_feature=selinux".
The benchmark results I have is a bit legacy, so it is necessary
to record it again, but I don't think it gives significant
implications on normal running (pgace_feature=none).
(Yes, it indeed gives us performance loss with selinux-enabled,but we assume performance is not the first priority in
thiscase.)

--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>