Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date
Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hum, it is not really consistent to use a magic number here, particularly in
>> the case where an additional state would be added in the enum PGPing. So why
>> not simply return PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT when there are incorrect options or you
>> show the help and exit? Looks like the best option here.

> Good point. I will make that change as well.

Maybe I missed something here, but I believe it's standard that
"program --help" should result in exit(0), no matter what the program's
exitcode conventions are for live-fire exercises.  (See
handle_help_version_opts() in the bin/scripts/ programs, for example.)
Okay to use NO_ATTEMPT for erroneous arguments, though.