Re: Opteron vs. Xeon performance differences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Opteron vs. Xeon performance differences
Date
List pgsql-general
Bart Grantham wrote:
> a long story short: we're experiencing Xeons as 50% slower than
> Opterons, even when the Xeon has twice as much cache and a slight
> clock speed advantage.

> tests I finally took the final leap: just pull the disks and throw
> them in a newer Opteron chassis (2.8GHz, 1M cache).  And whaddya
> know?  It's got a 20% speed edge on the older Opteron, and blows away
> the performance of the newer Xeons.

But is the difference in cpu or disk?

Do the two machines get a similar disk transfer rate?

Same raid card and disks in both machines, do they get the same MB/Sec?
(as opposed to on-board controllers)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz