Re: Transactions within a function body - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Transactions within a function body
Date
Re: Transactions within a function body  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> After a discussion on comp.databases.postgresql I realized that this
> is actually a limitation.
>
> Consider the following:
>
> BEGIN
>    UPDATE ...
>    UPDATE ...
>    UPDATE ...
> EXCEPTION
>    WHEN integrity_constraint_violation THEN
> END;
>
> If the first UPDATE succeeds but the second one bombs, there is no way
> to undo the first update short of having the whole transaction cancelled.

No, I think you've got that backwards Albe. You can even nest exceptions.

> If you need all three of these UPDATEs to either all succeed or fail,
> but the whole transaction should continue, you cannot do that in PL/pgSQL.

Try the following script. By commenting out the second INSERT you can
change whether you get one or no rows inserted into t1. The
BEGIN...EXCEPTION...END block has a savepoint set at the "BEGIN".

BEGIN;

CREATE TABLE t1 (a integer);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_exception()
RETURNS boolean AS $$
DECLARE
    n integer;
BEGIN