Re: Debian packages for Postgres 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject Re: Debian packages for Postgres 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running several productive servers on Debian etch (stable) with
> Postgres 8.2 which has been in lenny (testing) and made available for
> etch through the backports project [1]. Unfortunately, they
> discontinued maintaining 8.2 and switched to 8.3 in testing and thus
> also for the backports.
>
> As I don't currently want to switch to 8.3 due to the involved
> downtime and upgrading troubles involved. So I've compiled up to date
> Debian packages for Postgres 8.2.10. You can get them (maybe just
> temporarily) from here: http://www.bluegap.ch/debian, I'm providing
> packages as etch-backports for amd64 and i386. Upgrading from earlier
> 8.2 backports should work just fine.
>
> I'm trying to convince the backports people to re-add Postgres 8.2. As
> soon as that happens my own repository will probably disappear again.
>
> Please drop me a note if you are interested in 8.2 for etch. (Postgres
> 8.3 should become available via the backports within a few days, I
> guess).
I still have interest and I'm actually actively using it. Its a shame,
as the postgresql community still support 8.2 and probably more rely on it.
Besides this, Debian's tools are well polished and support many versions
side-by-side.

The good question would be for what reason they have removed the
backports package? Maybe shortage on maintainers?

- Joris