Re: Postgres-R - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Postgres-R
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

leiyonghua wrote:
> ./configure --enable-replication
> make & make install

You certainly also want --enable-debug and --enable-cassert, maybe also
additional flags for the C compiler, like -DRMGR_DEBUG, please check the
source code for these.

> 4. install the GCS ensemble, according the document :
> http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/dsl/projects/Ensemble/doc.html
>
> 5. start ensemble daemon and gossip if neccessary ( yes, make sure the
> two nodes can 'GCS' each other)

Yeah, either use the gossip process, or make sure IP multicast works for
your network configuration. I admit that ensemble is quite a beast WRT
compilation and configuration.

> 3. Assume that you have two nodes, start up postgresql and create a
> database 'db', and create a table 'tb' for testing which should be have
> a primary key for all nodes.
>
> 4. At the origin node, execute the command at psql console:
> alter database db start replication in group gcs;
> (which means the database 'db' is the origin and the group 'gcs' is the
> GCS group name)
>
> 5. At the subscriber node, execute the command:
> alter database db accept replication from group gcs;

As recovery doesn't work automatically, you still need to sync the
complete database from the node which initiated the replication group.
Then accept replication.

I'm working on automatic recovery.

Regards

Markus Wanner