Re: Extending varlena - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: Extending varlena
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:09:13PM -0400, Andrew Chernow wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> As the things stored in databases grow, we're going to start
>>> needing to think about database objects that 4 bytes of size can't
>>> describe.  People are already storing video in lo and bytea fields.
>>> To date, the sizes of media files have never trended downward.
>> I always find these requests puzzling.  Is it really useful to store
>> the  data for a jpeg, video file or a 10GB tar ball in a database
>> column?
>
> It is if you need transaction semantics.  Think medical records, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I see that, although developing the middleware between db and fs is
rather trival.  I think that is the puzzling part.  It just feels akward
to "me" to just stuff it in the db.  You can do more by distributing.

Anyways (back on topic), I am in favor of removing limits from any
section of the database ... not just your suggestion.  The end-user
application should impose limits.

Andrew