Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> A point that I don't think has been made so far in the thread: the
>>> only place the postmaster could complain in event of problems is the
>>> postmaster log, which we know too well isn't watched by inexperienced
>>> DBAs.  I guarantee you that we will get bug reports along the lines of
>>> "I updated pg_hba.conf and did pg_ctl reload, but nothing changed!
>>> Postgres sucks!" if we implement checking at load time.
>
>> How is this different from how we deal with postgresql.conf today?
>
> It isn't, and I seem to recall we've had that scenario play out a couple
> times already for postgresql.conf changes.  But pg_hba.conf is far more
> complex than "variable = value" ...

Ok, then I didn't misunderstand that part at least :-)

Ah, well. I know that if others don't pipe in on my side of it, I'm
implicitly out-voted ;), since I've stated my case by now... Thus, I
won't put any time into working on it unless someone does.

//Magnus