Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > It isn't, and I seem to recall we've had that scenario play out a couple
> > times already for postgresql.conf changes.  But pg_hba.conf is far more
> > complex than "variable = value" ...
>
> Ok, then I didn't misunderstand that part at least :-)
>
> Ah, well. I know that if others don't pipe in on my side of it, I'm
> implicitly out-voted ;), since I've stated my case by now... Thus, I
> won't put any time into working on it unless someone does.

Having one doesn't imply we don't have the other.  I believe we should
definitely have both the --check-config (to address Tom's concern, and
to improve the user experience when doing an /etc/init.d/postgresql
reload or similar) and the check done in the postmaster and have it only
update the running config if the config file parsed correctly.
Thanks,
    Stephen