Re: pg_dump additional options for performance - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date
List pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 11:03 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> 2. We have no concurrency which means, anyone with any database over 50G
>> has unacceptable restore times.
>
> Agreed.

> Sounds good.
>
> Doesn't help with the main element of dump time: one table at a time to
> one output file. We need a way to dump multiple tables concurrently,
> ending in multiple files/filesystems.

Agreed but that is a problem I understand with a solution I don't. I am
all eyes on a way to fix that. One thought I had and please, be gentle
in response was some sort of async transaction capability. I know that
libpq has the ability to send async queries. Is it possible to do this:

send async(copy table to foo)
send async(copy table to bar)
send async(copy table to baz)

Where all three copies are happening in the background?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake