Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> The only intentional backward compatibility break in this patch set is the the behavior of CREATEROLE.  The general
hopeis that such a compatibility break will help far more than it hurts, as CREATEROLE does not appear to be a well
adoptedfeature.  I would expect that breaking the behavior of the WITH ADMIN OPTION feature would cause a lot more
pain.

Even more to the point, WITH ADMIN OPTION is defined by the SQL standard.
The only way you get to mess with that is if you can convince people we
mis-implemented the standard.