More log detail on deadlock detection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Burcher, Greg
Subject More log detail on deadlock detection
Date
List pgsql-general

I am looking for help in debugging a deadlock situation that occurs intermittently. I am aware of queries that I can use against system tables/views such as pg_locks and pg_stat_activity to get good information about current process statements and locks. However, by the time postgresql reports deadlock detection, the deadlock loser has already been selected and the deadlock has been resolved. Thus, the locks that caused the deadlock are now released.

Is there any way to get complete statement/lock information as of the time of deadlock, before postgresql resolves the deadlock? The current log for deadlock reports the last statement for both processes, but not the granted locks for the processes that caused those statements to deadlock.

Thanks,

Greg Burcher

burcher@netapp.com