Re: sh -> pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: sh -> pl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:19:59AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Folks,

> Well, it'll wind up with a build system that's documented a lot better
> than it is :)
>
>> Is perl currently required to build from tarball? If not, you would
>> be placing an additional build requirement and there may still be a
>> few odd build environments that don't sport perl by default.
>
> This is 2008, and it's silly to pretend we need to support this
> "requirement" on systems where people are building Postgres.

I am curious what your overall proposal includes? Would I do:

perl Makefile.PL; make?

Or would things like autoconf and bison still be required?

Or are you just presenting to remove all the underlying nits that are
tied to all the different unix derived utilities?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake