Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> 3. Adding the metadata doesn't cause lines > 70 characters.  I am not
>> a fan of the "Discussion: Message-ID-Here" format which some
>> committers have begun using, sometimes with just the message ID and
>> sometimes with the full URL, because anything which causes horizontal
>> scrolling makes me sad.

> Adding the discussion related to the commit directly in the log
> history is really a bit plus IMO even if this breaks the rule of
> you-shall-not-write-more-than-72-characters-per-line (gmail ones are
> close to this limit), this allows to gain a lot of time when looking
> for a particular discussion without having to go through the archives
> by looking for example for the author report or a bug number, those
> fields being rather helpful in general:

Sure, but if we're adding a bug tracker that links to email, one of the
functions of the tracker can be to provide a less-verbose linking URL.

(Although I'm not sure how well that squares with the opinion I expressed
earlier that the tracker needs to link to the commit not vice versa.
It will not always be the case that a tracker entry gets made before the
commit is; besides which commit log entries cannot be fixed after the
fact.  For the same reason, I'm not that excited about embedding email
URLs in commit log entries.)

I'm with Robert on the idea that commit log entries need to be
limited-width.  I personally format them to 75 characters, so that
git_changelog's output is less than 80 characters.