Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
>> ...default_statistics_target?"..."Uhh 10."
>
> Ah, but we only ever hear about the cases where it's wrong of course. In other
> words even if we raised it to some optimal value we would still have precisely
> the same experience of seeing only posts on list about it being insufficient.

Yet if it was raised above the optimal, wouldn't you expect to hear cases
where it was too high?

It seems a slow painful way of finding a good setting might be to
keep increasing it until we had cases where the lists start telling
people they need to lower the parameter?