Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
wrote:
>> Now that psql '\pset format wrapped' is in CVS, we should consider
when
>> we want to use 'wrapped' format by default.  I think psql \df and
\dT
>> certainly can benefit from wrapped mode.  \df+ even displays,
though
>> there is quite a bit of wrapping.
>
> I for one would definitely like backslash commands with very wide
> output to be wrapped by default.
I would prefer the default to be the current 8.2 behavior.  As long as
I can configure that easily it's not a huge deal, but I may have to
deal with some users whose ad hoc queries feed into spreadsheets or
some such that will be broken until they do something new.
I currently use \x to view results about once a month (on average).  I
expect to find wrapped columns useful about that often.  I cut and
paste multi-line unwrapped output from my console window practically
daily, and the wrapping would make that painful.  That just got me
thinking -- has anyone tried this out with EXPLAIN ANALYZE output yet?
-Kevin