Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Brendan Jurd escribió:
>>  > I wonder if we should namespace the CommitFest pages by year as well
>>  > as month (i.e., move CommitFest:May to CommitFest:May2008).  This way,
>>  > even after we've had a CommitFest:May in 2009/2010/etc., the history
>>  > of the May 2008 CommitFest will still be easily viewable as a discrete
>>  > item.
>>
>>  Agreed -- this same idea occurred to me some days ago, but I then forgot
>>  it :-)  For now, it would be good to ensure that CommitFest:May is a
>>  redirect to May2008.  (I think it would make sense to have a
>>  CommitFest:Current redirect and perhaps CommitFest:Next.)
>>

> We may need to draw some kind of distinction between the "open"
> commitfest (which is where developers should submit new patches) and
> the "current" commitfest (which is where reviewers should be directing
> their attention).
>
> There'll be a substantial time period where the "open" and "current"
> commitfests are the same thing, but, for example, when the May
> commitfest closes for new submissions, it will still be the "current"
> commitfest, but will no longer be the appropriate place for developers
> to post their new patches (that will become July).
>
> I've started thinking of a commitfest as moving through the following
> stages in its lifetime:
>
>  1. Future
>  2. Open for submissions
>  3. In progress (closed for submissions)
>  4. Complete
>
> We probably need to have the following redirects in place:
>
>  * CommitFest:Current (for reviewers)
>  * CommitFest:Open (for submitters)
>  * CommitFest:Next
>
> Suggestions for alternative (less ambiguous) nomenclature are welcome ...

Why not use a form for posting new patches that would automatically put
it on the right page? (I have no idea if you can do that sort of thing
using mediawiki - it's just what I would do if I were designing a patch
submission system from scratch).

cheers

andrew