Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> I'm really not altogether sure what you mean by transaction velocity.
>> I'm pretty sure the electrons are traveling pretty close to the speed of
>> light. ;)
>
> Actually, electrons themselves flow rather slowly -- millimeters per
> second according to Wikipedia.  The signal propagation is a bit faster:
> "typically 75% of light speed", Wikipedia again.

Well, with respect to the velocity of my car, they're much closer to the
speed of light.  It's all relative.  In that comparison, the difference
is certainly imperceptible.  Let's not take this to the quantum level
okay? :)

> Anyway, he means "transaction rate".  But the actual useful figure is
> further removed from that because we're mostly only interested in write
> transactions, not read-only (though those still have an effect in
> versions earlier than 8.3.)

Understood.  I don't think we'll have a problem, based on our testing
thus far.  We have to get to 8.3 first though, and that's on the front
burner.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin