Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)
Date
Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)  (Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey wrote:

> I'm really not altogether sure what you mean by transaction velocity.
> I'm pretty sure the electrons are traveling pretty close to the speed of
> light. ;)

Actually, electrons themselves flow rather slowly -- millimeters per
second according to Wikipedia.  The signal propagation is a bit faster:
"typically 75% of light speed", Wikipedia again.

Anyway, he means "transaction rate".  But the actual useful figure is
further removed from that because we're mostly only interested in write
transactions, not read-only (though those still have an effect in
versions earlier than 8.3.)