Re: pgsql: Added ECPGget_PGconn() function to ecpglib, courtesy of Mike - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Added ECPGget_PGconn() function to ecpglib, courtesy of Mike
Date
List pgsql-committers

Michael Meskes wrote:

>> Also, regardless of the safety or otherwise, isn't it our standard
>> practice not to change anything in stable releases except for bug fixes?
>> That's part of what makes Postgres so stable, in fact.
>>

> I still fail to see how this added function could pose a problem. It
> does, however, fix a bug - make that a missing, undocumenterd feature -
> that causes the aubit application to break.

Arguably, it is aubit that is/was buggy in relying on the undocumented
"feature".

I don't think this particular change poses a great danger, but I do
think it's a bad precedent.

Anyway, I've said my piece, and don't want to take it further.

cheers

andrew