Re: [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Wetherbee
Subject Re: [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points?
Date
Re: [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points?  ("John Smith" <jayzee.smith@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Sam Mason wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:02:12PM -0400, John Smith wrote:
>> how many min. floating-points must a server hardware support for
>> postgresql+postgis? does postgresql+postgis do much floating-point
>> math to make a difference? can someone give postgresql+postgis
>> application examples that will require high floating-points?
>
> I think you're referring to "floating point operations per second", not
> "floating points"---hence Colin's confusion.

Dunno about that.  On the PostGIS list, he said:

"i got an old box supporting only 1 floating-point"

Maybe he means an FPU? *boggle*

Just for an interesting comparison, the Casio calculator I've used for
simple stuff for about 15 years runs at about 10 FLOPS. :)

> If I understand your question, PG doesn't require any specific
> performance level but your application probably does.  For example, PG
> would be quite happy giving back one row per year if that's all your
> processor(s) were capable of.  Your users may be a little unhappy with
> this though!

I think my calculator could weigh-in around one row per year. ;)

Colin