Re: Question about PostgreSQL's bytea compatibility with MS Access as front-end - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Question about PostgreSQL's bytea compatibility with MS Access as front-end
Date
List pgsql-general
Kristina Yamamoto wrote:

> We decided to migrate the database to PostgreSQL, because of the
> ability to still use Access as the front-end (there are forms,
> queries, etc that are easier for the volunteers to use in Access than
> learning SQL.) We bought the DBConvert program, which stores the
> photos in bytea format in PostgreSQL. However, when we try to link to
> the PostgreSQL database using Access, the pictures are no longer
> recognized as OLE - instead they are binary and are no longer visible
> using Access' image viewer.

You can work around it by creating a temporary file and streaming the
data to it, then displaying that file on the form. That's a common
(though perhaps fiddly) option.

This site describes things, but bear in mind they're selling a plugin to
handle this problem:
  http://www.ammara.com/articles/accesspictureole.html
More here too:
  http://www.jamiessoftware.tk/articles/handlingimages.html