Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> I like this idea. By my opinion only GUC variable with PGC_POSTMASTER
> context must be in postgresql.conf. Most of them are related to memory
> and networking configuration. Other can be only store in database. And
> for startup, default value will work pretty well.
>
> By the way, why postgresql.conf is required for startup when I'm able
> setup all parameter on command line?

You aren't able to.

postgres=# set shared_buffers = '32768';
ERROR:  parameter "shared_buffers" cannot be changed after server start
STATEMENT:  set shared_buffers = '32768';
ERROR:  parameter "shared_buffers" cannot be changed after server start
postgres=#

Joshua D. Drake