Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake napsal(a):

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:22:42 -0300
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> IMO this should all be in the database and that's it. The idea that
>>> our global settings are in a file seems unusual consider we have a
>>> perfectly good storage engine available.
>> That doesn't work, because many settings must be loaded before the
>> database is fully operational.
>
> Right but couldn't that be changed or if not, why not only have the
> settings that "must" be loaded before the database is fully operation
> in the postgresql.conf file.
>
> I can hear the wails of we don't want multiple configuration sources
> but we already have multiple configuration sources and having 90% of
> the configuration in the database should would make it easier.

I like this idea. By my opinion only GUC variable with PGC_POSTMASTER context
must be in postgresql.conf. Most of them are related to memory and networking
configuration. Other can be only store in database. And for startup, default
value will work pretty well.

By the way, why postgresql.conf is required for startup when I'm able setup all
parameter on command line?

    Zdenek