Re: NLS on MSVC strikes back! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: NLS on MSVC strikes back!
Date
Re: NLS on MSVC strikes back!  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gevik Babakhani wrote:
>
>> I have compiled 8.3 (CVS HEAD) with NLS on a XP box. But it seems that NLS
>> support is broke.
>> Could someone please confirm this.
>>

> What I can confirm is that lc_messages is supposed to work for to_char,
> because it shows the localized output for me as I change lc_messages;
> and it doesn't if I change lc_time.

FSVO "supposed to".

The CVS history is somewhat murky.

On Nov 24 2006 this was committed dor src/backend/utils/adt/formatting.c:

r 1.114: Fix to_char() locale handling to honor LC_TIME, not LC_MESSAGES.

A few hours later it was supposedly reverted: r 1.115: Revert (too late
in beta): Fix to_char() locale handling to honor LC_TIME, not LC_MESSAGES.

Apparently this was never returned to (it should probably have been put
on the patches hold queue).

I can't see offhand what else might have caused the behaviour change.

cheers

andrew