Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I've never heard any
>> complaints about building svn from source before for *developers*. I think
>> that's just as easy as anything else.
>
> [ shrug... ]  The message I quoted was from Bob Friesenhahn, who is
> certainly a competent C programmer.  If it took him half a day to
> install SVN from scratch, I'm prepared to believe it's not trivial.
> At the very least, I suggest you replicate the experiment before
> asserting you know more about it than someone who's tried.

I've built it from source several times, and it's certainly not taken
half a day. It took quite a while to build, but it wasn't hard to do at all.

Goes to replicate the experiment, not to argue for or against any of the  products.

//Magnus