Re: DBA Book - Not "postgresql book - practical or something newer?" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron St-Pierre
Subject Re: DBA Book - Not "postgresql book - practical or something newer?"
Date
List pgsql-general
Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> Joe Celko's "SQL Programming Style" is a good not vendor-specific book.
> As for PostgreSQL-specific books, I can only speak for one I read
> before: Bruce Momjian's "PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts". It is
> a good introductionary book, although
> it isn't based on PostgreSQL 8 series.

Thanks Olexandr. I've got one of Celko's SQL books which I use as a
reference. I'm looking for something that will help me as we move from
our all-in-one server to something more robust. I want something that
will give me pointers on what's needed and maybe best practices. I don't
have any associates available to advise me on where my priorities should
be: failover of course, but which RAID for the db, when and how to
______ (cluster, use material views, numerous other things which
postgres has available, etc).

While there's a lot of information in the docs and flowing through the
lists, it doesn't provide me with what I need. Since there isn't an
updated version of Practical PostgreSQL to use as a guideline/reference
I have to look for a non-DBMS specific reference.

Ron