Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: configure tag'd 8.3.0 and built witih autoconf 2.59 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: configure tag'd 8.3.0 and built witih autoconf 2.59
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> As best I recall, the immediate branch after 8.2 was the exception not
>> the rule --- we've usually waited longer than that.
>>

> 8.2, 8.1, and 8.0 were branched off the x.y.0 release tag.  7.4 was branched
> at rc1, 7.3 was branched at beta4, 7.2 was branched at final release, 7.1 was
> branched at 7.1.1.  So no. :-)
>
> Personally, I don't agree with following this endless release cycle with an
> additional indefinite waiting period.

Yeah, that accords with my recollection. Also, it also would have been
nice if there had been some information about what was going on.

I don't really buy the double patching argument. Back patching becomes
more difficult when there has been significant code drit, but we surely
don't expect that much drift in the next week or two. Back patching when
there has been no code drift is pretty simple.

cheers

andrew