Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> If we want to make sure that this certificate is worth anything, we have
> to make sure that people who are allowed to issue it are more than just
> "a little postgres".
> otherwise we end up with a nightmare - 50000000000 people will issue
> worthless certificates.
> if every stupid guy wearing a tie is allowed to issue this, it is
> worthless ...

The opposite extreme is bad too.  I've seen companies pick Visual Basic
because it's easier to hire certified VB6 developers than python/C/etc.

FWIW, some Sun database product has about a thousand or two certified
people http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php ; as well
as having expensive books to study for it
http://www.mysql.com/certification/studyguides/

IMHO their certification tests seem to have a reasonable degree of
detail.